The EA MLA provides a framework to realise the objective ‘Accredited once, accepted everywhere’.
- Delivers Public Confidence. Despite a complex global marketplace, accreditation gives us confidence through ensuring consistently high standards in the quality of products or services purchased.
- Minimises product failure or recalls. Product testing carried out by a reliable independent organisation will minimise products failing or potential recalls.
- Prevents dangerous outbreaks. Tests conducted by accredited laboratories will prevent the risk of outbreaks (from food poisoning to water contamination) that can be hazardous to the public.
For Governments and Regulators
There is growing recognition among Regulators that accreditation can be used to establish and maintain public confidence and trust in goods and services. The advantages of accreditation include:
- Flexibility of approach. Accreditation delivers a multi-discipline solution that can be applied to support or act as an alternative to legislation;
- Increased confidence in data that is used to establish baselines for monitoring and enforcement;
- Trade facilitation. Acceptance in the marketplace of results provided by conformity assessment bodies accredited by EA MLA signatories is of major importance for the development of the internal market in Europe, as this facilitates cross border trade as well as in demonstrating compliance with the European legislation for products and services.
- Efficient Government: Accreditation delivers a balance between risk and protection as it reduces the need for Government and Regulators to carry out additional controls and in turn helps to reduce the need to employ additional inspection staff.
For Industry and the Business Community
Whatever the technical field and the market, industry can save time and money by making the informed choice to procure conformity assessment services from an organisation accredited by an EA MLA signatory.
- Trade facilitation. Acceptance in the marketplace of the EA MLA-and thus the conformity assessment results provided by conformity assessment bodies accredited by EA MLA signatories- is of major importance for the development of industry and business opportunities. Accreditation removes the need to re-test or certify a product in each and every country where it is sold, ensuring greater access to new growth areas and speed to market.
- Create a competitive environment. Businesses are able to differentiate their products and services, as well as being able to exploit overseas opportunities opened up through the mutual recognition arrangements;
For the European Citizen
The EA MLA benefits all European citizens as accreditation underpins the quality of the air we breathe, to the safety of the food we eat, to the safety of our working environment.